Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Service Disruptions...

Over the past 4 days I have incurred two odd service disruptions that have yet to be explained and began at the same time.
  1. I started receiving an inordinate amount of hits to the sub-domain that houses this blog -- http://blog.qisoftware.com/.
  2. I lost the ability to chat with one of my Yahoo accounts.

I have been working the problems:

Problem (1): I have placed a deny IP to the server that is issuing the attacks and have an abuse action logged with the attacking IP's service provider.

Problem (2): I am still waiting on a response from Yahoo. The only thing I can come up with -- I made someone angry by not using Instant Messenger (IM). I never use IM -- not any IM client for any reason. I do more observing in chat rooms than chatting so it cannot be that I offended anyone and if it were offensive enough to warrent disruption of my chat service there should be a log file indicating the offense.

The denial of service attacks had the potential of becoming a really big problem in as far as bandwidth usage, but I caught it almost as soon as it began so it should not be an issue for domain ranking services. It pays to check your numbers every night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment